Friday, February 8, 2008

Amazing things to see


As I approached the Blanton Museum (my first time) to meet my 12 year old's art class... I came across this fun piece of art. So colorful and full of movement. Hundreds of yellow tubes hanging down.

As I waited for her class to arrive... I admired the 50+ foot ceilings with their amazing (key word) ability to let in massive amounts of natural light and be technically so beautiful.

I then noticed by the front door, a single mason chipping away at his work. Like yesterday, when I was transported to the 60's watching the space shuttle launch, today, I jumped all the way to Rome in the days of Caeser. I was struck that there still exists this AMAZING and also technically beautiful trade of chipping words into stone. I had so many questions for him but as you can see he worked with his headphones on. I was also super self-conscious of staring over his shoulder. The curve for making mistakes is a flat ZERO, I'm sure.

As we were leaving my 12 year old explains that you can actually hang on the yellow hanging tube display we came across on the way in. My first thought was "FUN!"... and "SHOW ME!"... and she did. My after thought was of my husband who continually catches me either getting TOO close or actually inside/on/touching artwork that is strictly forbidden. I walked away a little more quickly after that thought.

After the museum, we ventured up to the Dell Children's Hospital to visit Ayla's 7 year old God-brother. He had emergency surgery to remove a 6 inch piece of bamboo from his leg and abdomen. Seriously! I was just so amazed at his bravery and strength.

We took his little 5 year old brother outside to play. I took these of the outside of the hospital.

Amazingly beautiful architecture. I'm so proud to have such an incredible building in our city.

Our last amazing treat to see was this GIGANTIC round stone (maybe Texas granite?) that was literally floating within this water fountain. You could spin and spin and spin this rotating sphere around just like the earth. All the kids enjoyed the coolness of the water that clung to its giant mass.

No comments: