Friday, January 18, 2008

first post

I've been lucky to have known my authentic self for most of my life. At an early age, I had wonderful opportunities to explore, learn and excel with numerous activities. As a child, I remember having the most fun with gymnastics. My competitive spirit was made for this sport. I thrived on seeing just how far I could push myself; to feel the sheer delight of success. Discipline was just a means and it honestly just felt like fun. There was plenty of work, but it was so much fun in spite of the heavy work involved. Fun was feeling your body flip and turn in these miraculous ways that you and you only were responsible for. Fun was being able to do a standing back flip on demand. Fun was getting a handle of a new trick the very first time you tried it. Fun was traveling to meets with your teammates; a slumber party with purpose. I'm not trying to over glamorize this, but just to explain the origins of my fun life.

Even in high school, after I left gymnastics for other extra curricular activities, I made sure that fun remained by my side in spite of life's ever increasing work load. Fun was effortless through college, and even so through my early years as an adult, new wife and new mother.

But somewhere along the way, I lost track of fun. Somewhere amongst my divorce maybe? or could it be my 7 year career identity crisis? or possibly left at a nameless rest stop during one of my cross country moves... I'm not sure.

I do know I've found it unexpectedly at times. It hasn't left me completely, but the days of feeling effortless fun have since gone. I have known of its absence for some time now, but have yet to figure out a way to make us whole again.

So, it is my desire for this blog to be my source of rekindling and renewing my friendship with fun. It is my way of sharing with the universe and thanking it aloud for all my joy and laughter each day. It is also my way of sharing my fun with anyone else that might want more fun in their life; and for you to share your fun life with me!

No comments: