Sunday, January 20, 2008

potato of love


I've heard about these from the movie THE GLEANERS AND I. A documentary filmed by Agnès Varda and her hand-held camera on the culture of people who forage, hunt, and collect leftovers; edible food that would otherwise be thrown out. One of the more plentiful markets for gleaners is from potato farmers. There are truckloads of potatoes that are not able to be sold because of their small size or odd shape. There were countless heart shaped potatoes that completely put a smile on my face the first time I encountered them in this film. Such a cute thing and how sad that with all its obvious appeal; they are tossed aside. How pleased was I this evening as I was prepping potatoes for a massive mashed potato feast for my supper club tomorrow night to find this darling gem amongst them. A rogue had snuck in.

And in the eyes of my 12 year old, she says, "Looks like a cute little butt". ha.

No comments: