Monday, January 28, 2008

Resurrecting The Cafe Project (TCP)


The Cafe Project started in 2002 when I moved from Vermont back to Austin. I was inspired to visit all the establishments in Austin that started with the work CAFE. The list of places that ended in CAFE was too long to even count; but this list was short and palatable. It was a fun way to re-familiarize myself with my hometown and see a sampling of what it currently had to offer. I never finished the list from 2002 and now there are a handful of new CAFES and a few that have since shutdown.

I started with CAFE PACHA. A South American coffee shop just north of 45th street; 4618 Burnet Road. I had a hot chai and sat out back on their little deck. The staff was really great and the food looked good too. Mind you, this was 2002, but I still would recommend checking it out when in the area.

Next was CAFE AZUL. Sadly, it appears to have closed a couple months ago. It was located 1808 East Cesar Chavez. A really cute small yellow house complete with agave landscaping and an outdoor seating area out back and your off the beaten path kind of sandwiches. I'm not going to say much else since its closed. The link above has some reviews for curiosity sake.

CAFE DANCE (3307 Hancock Drive) I visited one random morning just went in to see what it was all about. In case the name didn't spell it out enough for me... I found a dance studio. I grabbed a list of classes since I had just left my beloved African dance class in Vermont, but they didn't have one (BTW... ANYONE know of ANYWHERE within a 30 mile radius that has African Dance classes? I'm still looking!!) I then revisited CAFE DANCE in 2004(?) for a performance of Oh Mother by a longtime friend who runs FORKLIFT DANCEWORKS. A brilliant modern dance tribute to the whole process of becoming a mom.

CAFE MUNDI gets the most visited award. I usually visited each place just once and checked it off the list, but MUNDI held me captive. Gently tucked away on the east side, I couldn't get enough of MUNDI. Aside from fond memories of being bussed to Zavala Elementary, I hadn't spent much time on the east side. It was funky, great food, live music, movies outside, shady outdoor patio... I just loved it. I went at least once a week. If you haven't been.. its an Austin must (1704 E. 5th St.)

CAFE MONET (4477 South Lamar; in the Westgate shopping center) My family ended up here for our mom's 60th birthday. It's a paint your own pottery studio. We each painted a dinner plate then presented her with an entire new set of dishes. It was a really cool idea (my sister, the genius) and we get to enjoy them Sunday nights for family dinner.

My most memorable CAFE experience from the initial 2002 Cafe Project was CAFE JOSIE (1200 W. 6th, Suite B; behind an art gallery) It was April Fools 2005. This is where my sweet husband brought us for dinner the night he proposed. Although he didn't propose here, it holds a sweet place in my heart. He popped the question later while at the San Jose; the place of our first unofficial "date".

So, I've combined my 2002 list with any new ones from 2008. The list has swelled from its original 14 to 30! I've been to 6 so that's 24 more to go. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: